Town of Lee was originally formed from the Town of Western in 1811. It is located in Oneida County, New York and home to a population of 6,486 residents according to the 2010 census. It is northwest of Rome City.
Students attend schools in one of three area districts: Rome City School District, Camden School District or Adirondack School District in Boonville, New York.
On the present site of the Methodist Church, the first school in Lee was built and went by the name of Lee Center School – District 3, which later became District 1. The school remained open until Lee Center School merged with Rome District Schools in 1957. After the merge, the building was demolished.
Still standing on the corner of Streun Road and Point Rock road is another one of the first and main schoolhouses in Lee Center. Settlers called this the Stone Schoolhouse-District 5. This also held classes until the merge in 1957.
On the corner of Lorena road and Sleepy Hollow road held another schoolhouse. The property lines show half of the building in Rome and the other in Lee center.