It is in southwestern Oneida County, New York, and south of Rome City, established as Town of Verona from the Town of Westmoreland. It had been part of the extensive territory covered by the Iroquois League. It was first settled in by European Americans in 1792 during the American Revolutionary War. In 1993, the Oneida Nation had opened to the public a casino and bingo hall which was further developed in 1997 as a full-scale resort known as Turning Stone Resort & Casino.
Verona is part of the Vernon-Verona-Sherrill Central School District. Students in grades Pre-K through 6 attend John D. George Elementary School, located on Main Street in the village of Verona. The main campus of Vernon-Verona-Sherrill High School and Middle School is located on New York State Route 31 in Verona, and serves students in grades 7-12.